Happy National Watermelon Day!
It seems there’s (quite literally) a holiday for everything these days. Listen, I’m always willing to splurge on tacos and margaritas on their official national holidays (October 4th and February 22 for the record) because “why not?,” but others I can’t bring myself to acknowledge. For instance, do we really need a National Stuffed Mushroom Day?! They’re little round nuggets of mold, filled with breadcrumbs… and yes it exists, every year on February 4th. Mark your calendars.
Today though, is National Watermelon Day. It may be just as useless and silly as those mentioned before, I love biting into a crisp, sweet, perfectly juicy piece of ripe red watermelon – especially on a hot summer day.
So, what’s the deal with this holiday? I did some digging to find out about the why and how it got started.
History says that the first watermelon harvest was around this time 5,000 years ago in Egypt and the holiday started gaining traction in 2012 with the health and anti-cancer revolution. Did you know that watermelon, as delicious as it is, is packed full of health benefits?
Health benefits of watermelon include:
- Hydration (duh!)
- High in RDI of Multiple Vitamins & Nutrients
- Cancer Prevention
- Heart Healthy (helps lower blood pressure & cholesterol)
- Prevents Macular Degeneration (huh?)
- Aids Muscle Soreness
Now that you know how it helps your health, let me assist with one of the more delicious benefits of watermelon: watermelon frosé. Try my recipe for the delicious cocktail (pictured above) and check out more delicious drink recipes on Listen! It’s Vetrano.
- 1 (standard 750mL) bottle of rosé
- 1 cup fresh watermelon juice
- 1/3 cup of sugar (or to your desired sweetness)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- zest of one lime
- watermelon slices for garnish
- Add watermelon, rosé, sugar and lime juice to blender, blend mixture until slushy.
- Add ice to glass and pour mixture into equal servings.
- Top with lime zest and garnish with a watermelon slice.
- Serve and enjoy.
What’s your favorite watermelon recipe? Share it in the comments below and bonus points for pictures! I will pick my favorites to share on Facebook and Twitter. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram for more recipes, food porn and more!