If you’re anything like me, you’re probably rushing around for those last minute gift ideas for your significant other, co-workers, friends and/or family. I spend eleven and a half months scratching my head thinking of what to get the people closest to me for the holly, jolly time of year and then, in the final hours before Santa’s impending arrival, get stuck creatively and land on those little pieces of plastic: the dreaded gift card.
So, in an effort to be more creative and support local businesses, I’ve compiled some great Nashville-based brands that make perfect holiday gifts and tell your loved one that you’ve done more than pursued the Walmart gift card tree.
1. Corsair Distillery: Nashville’s local distillery offers a ton of seasonal brands of whiskey, vodka and moonshine that are the perfect gift to bring to any holiday event. And their beautifully crafted, round bottles fit perfectly in a stocking… I’m guessing (based on experience).
2. Imogene + Willie: Every man, whether he admits it or not, likes to look good in pair of jeans. The best way to accomplish that? Custom fits from Nashville’s Imogene + Willie. Plus, while he’s there he can try on some stylish frames from Warby Parker‘s eyewear line.
3. Valentine Valentine: Project Runway designer Amanda Valentine‘s line of funky Men’s tees and stylish wool jackets will make your man the best dressed in any room. Plus, enter discount code FREESHIP in at checkout to get, well… free shipping on your purchase.
4. Otis James: Every working man – even when his office is the local coffee shop – needs a good tie. Otis James’ handcrafted options are a great gift and their personalization feature the back with a name or message adds that perfect touch for the season of giving.
5. Kayne Prime: If dinner at Nashville’s premiere boutique steakhouse doesn’t say I love you, I’m not sure he’s Mr. Right. I guess technically this equates to the aforementioned dreaded gift card, but once he bites into the Wagyu filet sous vide to perfection, he’ll thank you all year long. Plus, if red meat isn’t really his thing, the M Street GC is accepted at Whiskey Kitchen, Saint Anejo, Virago, Tavern and Moto Cucina + Enoteca.
6. Amanda Valentine: From the runway at Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week to your lady’s closet, Amanda Valentine’s latest dresses and accessories for women are the perfect gift. Not sure of her size? AV’s line of collars, cuffs and ear pieces are the way to go. And don’t forget to use promo code FREESHIP at checkout.
7. The Dry House: Every woman loves to look good, but without cluttering up the bathroom. The Dry House in Green Hills gives her an experience she won’t forget. Plus, if you buy her a package of 10 right now, the 11th is free!
8. Thistle Farms: Thistle Farms is a social enterprise that is run by the women of Magdalene. The women create natural bath and body products by hand that are as good for the earth as they are for the body. Purchases of Thistle Farms products directly benefit the women by whom they were made. It’s a great stocking stuffer and it shows your support of women everywhere.
9. The Skin Bar: The Skinbar is a niche emporium offering luxury brands as well as innovative treatments that get results and keep her looking her best. To complete the experience, your lady can step directly into The Perch, a cozy neighborhood coffee shop, for a post-treatment crêpe.
10. Salon Atash: Located across from Centennial Park, steps from the Vanderbilt campus, Salon Atash offers the best cut and color in Nashville. Atash also offers threading at their brow bar, sophisticated accessories and apparel and a variety of top-of-the-line haircare products developed by salon’s owner Katie Mirian.
Hope this short list of ideas on my Nashville gift guide keeps you on the good list well into 2015. Be sure to keep checking back for more helpful shopping and dining tips in the New Year. And until then, have yourself a very Happy Holidays!
V for Vetrano